Though display names and usernames are crucial in any social media channel, changing them has its limitations and restrictions. This depends on what platform you’re using.
Usernames and display names are crucial features since they’re the main identifying aspects and help your profile stand out from the others.
An easily recognizable display name and an appealing username are vital for your friends to quickly find you on Kik.
Unfortunately, people make mistakes. This is particularly true when it comes to their username. Because of this, they might want to change it in the future.
So, how can you change your username in Kik? Let’s find out!
Why Do People Use Kik?
There are tons of available messaging apps out there. However, people choose Kik due to its amazing features.
Here are some features in Kik that made the app so popular:
- Kik allows the user to share unlimited media through any connection. These features allow Kik users to gain experience while using the app.
- The user can choose a username to easily identify their profile. Then, they can personalize the content to match the preferred identity of the user. This depends on what they prefer.
- Users can personalize their Kik app to give various SMS tones to various individuals. These have made the platform to be used commonly by members across the globe.
- The most popular and best feature of Kik is that users can anonymously chat since it doesn’t need a phone number.
How to Change Kik Username?
Kik typically utilizes two names. The first one is the username and the second one is the display name. The username is tied to your Kik account. It is a unique identifier.
Unfortunately, you can’t change your username. However, it isn’t displayed publicly. The only way you can change your username is to deactivate your current account and create a new one.
On the other hand, the display name is the name you provide people you want to contact. It’s the name that you can change.
Once you create your profile, Kik will not allow you to change your username. If you really want to change your username, you need to open a new account with a different email address and utilize your desired new username there.
Keep in mind that you can’t change your username once you create a profile. Thus, if you are planning to create a new one, you’ve got to ensure you choose the right username.
On the other hand, if you want to change your display name, the process is quite simple. First of all, you need to download the Kik messenger app for iOS or Android. Then, you need to follow the steps below:
- First, click on “Configuration”
- Next, click on “Your Account”
- Then, click on “Name”
- Lastly, click on “Change your Display Name”
Difference Between Kik Display Name and Username
- If your friends want to find your profile, they will need your username. If they do not know your username, they will have a hard time finding you on Kik.
- Your username can only contain letters, underscore (_), periods (.), and numbers. On the other hand, your display name can contain special characters and emojis.
- Your display name will appear at the top of the chat screen of your friends. It will also appear in the contact lists and notifications.
Precautions When Changing a Username
If you want to achieve style and professionalism, you need to create a unique username. You’ve got to ensure your username is new and that nobody is currently using it.
Your new username should not match the username that you have previously registered.
Creating a New Username
An excellent username will have a combination of numbers and letters. With this, people will have a hard time contacting you, unless you want them to.
Great usernames can improve your ability to hide your identity from other people.
When you want to create a good username, you can take inspiration from your interests and hobbies. In addition to that, you also have to be extremely familiar with your username.
How to Become Anonymous on Kik
If you want, you can utilize the “degree of separation” idea. However, it isn’t necessary if you simply want a screen name or display name.
You can utilize the same guidelines that you use for your other social media accounts or in-game names.
Unlike other social media platforms and games, the names that appear on Kik are freely accessible. Your username will stay the same forever. However, you can always set any display name and change it whenever you want.
Keep in mind that stupid, offensive, racist, childish, and inappropriate display names have the same effect as on other social media channels.
You can act like it if you want to be seen like that. However, you should show professionalism in your display name if you want people to take you as a serious or professional individual.
As mentioned earlier, it’s pretty easy to change your display name on Kik. The most difficult part is finding the right one for you.
People change their usernames in Kik in cases where they need to improve their privacy. Perhaps a user wants to hide their identity from other people.
Usernames on Kik are complicated. They are extremely hard to change.
However, if you simply want to change how people call you on the app, you can opt to change your display name instead. It is the name that other people see when they view your profile.
Fortunately, users can change their display names as many times as they want.
On the other hand, if you want to improve your privacy and change your username, the best thing you can do is deactivate your current account and create a new one with a different username.