So, you’ve bought a canvas print. Congratulations! You’re probably wondering how to take care of your canvas prints and what to do with them once you’ve finished displaying them on the wall.
Well, worry not! We’ve got you covered.
1- Store them somewhere cool and dry
You want to keep your prints from getting damaged by the sun, so store them in a cool and dry place. If this isn’t possible, you can use a box with a lid. Make sure you don’t store them in direct sunlight, though!
2- Protect them from dust
Dust is the bane of any print collector’s existence—it will ruin your work if you don’t take care of it. To protect your prints from dust, ensure they’re in a well-ventilated area and that they’re not being stored next to other items that could easily collect dust. You can use inexpensive anti-static bags to store your prints safely until they can go back to your wall!
3- Clean them regularly
If you have a lot of prints hanging up at home, you’ll need to clean them more often than every few months. This is because dust collects over time, which makes your prints look duller and less vibrant.
Cleaning your canvas prints is easy! Just three simple steps, and you’ll be on your way to making your prints look new again:
- Use a soft cloth. You don’t want to scrub too hard or use chemicals that can damage the fibres of the canvas or paint.
- Apply a mild soap solution and water. If you want to ensure the dirt is gone, you’ll need to use a soapy solution—but don’t use anything containing harsh chemicals or ammonia-based cleaners. Your goal should be to gently clean away any dirt that might have accumulated on your canvas print without damaging it.
- Rinse with water until all traces of soap are gone, then let it dry completely before hanging it up!
4- Display them properly
When you’re ready to put your prints back up on the wall, make sure you follow these steps:
- Hang them straight: Make sure your prints are hung straight. They should be placed about two inches away from the wall.
- Put them where they won’t get bumped: Your prints shouldn’t be placed near windows, doors, mirrors, or anything else that might cause them to move around.
- Use a picture hanger: When putting your prints on the wall, use a picture hanger. It will help ensure that your prints stay in their proper position.
5- Don’t leave your prints in the sun for too long—they’ll fade!
You should also avoid leaving them on windowsills, as the light can fade the colours and make it harder for people to see your artwork. If you leave them outside, ensure they’re covered with something like newspaper or cardboard to protect them from sun, rain or snowfall!
6- Handle the print with care.
The best way to preserve your canvas prints is to handle them carefully. Most prints are made from multiple layers of canvas and paper, which means they can be fragile if you treat them harshly. If you’re planning on hanging your print, use a dolly or wall mount designed for hanging artwork. Otherwise, choose a more secure way to store them (like in a box).
Good art is a labour of love, and if you’re anything like us, the satisfaction you get when you can look at your work with pride is incredible. But sometimes, it’s just not enough to be satisfied with your work—you want to ensure it lasts forever, or at least as long as the canvas itself!
Follow the above tips to take care of your print and ensure it lasts as long as possible.